15.12.09

San Bei Ji aka Taiwanese Three Cup Chicken


As some of you know, my husband is originally from Taiwan. I love to attempt authentic Asian cooking for him, usually with good results. San Bei Ji is one of those good results. It had a deep, strong flavor, if very simple to make, and tastes even better the second day. The original recipe calls for Thai Basil, which I can never seem to find, nor do I usually have fresh basil on hand. I do have the little frozen cubes of it though, so I just pop one or two of those in the sauce and it seems to work just fine. Don't be scared off by the "three cups", you really just need three equal parts of the main ingredients. Enjoy!

San Bei Ji/Taiwanese Three Cup Chicken

3 lbs. chicken, any cut (we love it with thighs)
2/3 cup rice wine
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup sesame oil
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp powdered ginger
1 handful torn basil (or 2 cubes frozen)
2 tbsp brown sugar - optional, my kids find this too salty if I leave out the sugar


In a large skillet or wok, brown the chicken on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Stir in all remaining ingredients but basil. Stir to combine and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Turn chicken and continue cooking until sauce has thickened and reduces a bit. Mix in basil, cook additional 2 or 3 minutes and remove from heat. Serve with steamed vegetables and rice (I like to mix the veggies in during the last couple minutes to get that extra flavor).

No comments:

Post a Comment