16.11.09

Sunday Dinner: Surf and Turf Stir-fry


I hate Sunday dinner. It is a meal I dread making, simply because I can never thing of what to make. Last night everybody was hungry but nobody could tell me what they were hungry for. Finally I just reached in the freezer, determined to cook whatever came out. What came out first was a package of thinly sliced flank steak. Good, but not enough to feed everyone. Next came out a bag of frozen whole shrimp, heads still on (cost less that way, and also give dishes a deeper flavor). Steak and shrimp? Sounds good to me! I closed my eyes, reached into the crisper, and pulled out a bag of chinese broccoli to go along with the surf and turf. I served everything over rice, of course, all was devoured. Well, the munchkins weren't too keen on eating leafy greens, but they had great fun ripping the heads off of the shrimp!


Surf and Turf Stir-fry

3/4 lb flank steak, thinly slice
1/2 pound shrimp, frozen
1 bunch gai lan or other broccoli-type vegetable
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp rice wine
4 tbsp soy sauce
dash sesame oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
salt to taste

Marinate steak with the garlic and remaining ingredients. Chop broccoli into bite sized pieces and stir fry about 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and cook meat and juices about 2 minutes. Add meat to broccoli, leaving juices in the pan. Add shrimp and stir fry until just pink, then add meat and broccoli back into pan. Cook another 2 or 3 minutes, then serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment