20.11.09

Easy Slow Cooker Congee


I LOVE congee. When I'm sick, when it's cold and rainy, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is the ultimate in stick-to-your-ribs comfort food. I've tried in the past to make it on the stove, but that is difficult unless you have an hour or so free to stand in the kitchen stirring (or unless you like the taste of burnt rice, ugh). Finally it came to me - use the slow cooker! This recipe makes enough for about 4 bowls of very thick congee. You can adjust the liquid to rice ration to your liking, and use any combination of broth and/or water. Add meat, veggies, sesame oil, all to your taste, congee is very forgiving!


Slow Cooker Congee

8 cups liquid (I used 1/2 beef broth, 1/2 water)
3/4 cup uncooked white rice, rinsed twice
thinly sliced ginger, to taste
whatever you want to add - I used leftover bones from a roast duck

Place all ingredients into slow cooker, stir once to combine, cook on high 3 to 5 hours, until it reaches your desired consistency. Serve hot, topped with green onions, chinese donut, etc.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious and easy. I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete